Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day 5

Our Five Day Hunger Challenge ended today.
The last couple days were uneventful. Rice, beans and oatmeal actually grew on me but, admittedly, the same choices got boring. Another sign of how spoiled we are!
But the food was not that bad. I got the knack of cooking. I even enjoyed cooking for the most part, although at the end I really didn't get as creative, instead focusing on the meals I knew the family would eat. But I could see adding them to our regular diet.
While this experience did help me to understand how poor people in third world countries live, it also really showed how here in the U.S. we are very spoiled. Do we really need so much variety like in cereal or soda choices? Why do we have to have the fastest gadget and yet not be satisfied?
We rely on keeping up with the Jones, from our type of home to fashion. We have all sorts of wants and gimmes. We are comfortable in our own shells.
I do feel guilty for being born in a country of plenty. But I also am thankful for the many blessings God has given me and I definitely want to share those blessings.
I want to serve! I want to reach out to those in need. Jesus commanded us to feed the hungry, give a drink to the thirsty, invite a stranger in, clothe the needy, look after the sick and visit the imprisoned. "Whatever you did for the least of one of these brothers of mine, you did for me," he said.
Cursed are those who do not follow His commands. (Matthew 25:31-46.)
Many people don't want to step out of their comfort zone. Gone are the days when neighbors called, visited or chatted freely. We live in neighborhoods and yet are strangers to those around us. We go about our lives and don't want to make eye contact with the person walking down the street.
But God has given us gifts; gifts we can use to help his Kingdom. We need to be wise with our gifts (as we learned last night from Veggie Tale Lord of the Beans). Those gifts can be used to follow Christ's commands. Maybe you have the gift of prayer. Then pray for the poor and the hurting. Maybe you are artistic. Then you can make get-well cards for children in the hospital. Maybe you have a servant's heart. Then you can help in a soup kitchen or other ministry.
We can travel to another country or reach out locally. Whatever it may be, God has many opportunities for us.
I am eager to see where He wants me to go.

No comments: