Friday, December 5, 2008

Always my baby

When I was a teenager, I used to roll my eyes every time my mom called me her "baby." Puh-lease, Anna, I am a teenager. No, she'd say, you will always be my baby.
She still calls me her baby but my eyes don't roll as much.
I think it has to do with the fact that I am a mother now. I have two beautiful daughters, such blessings. I am truly humbled that God blessed me with them. And yes, they are my babies, even our oldest.
S and I had a conversation similar to one my mother and I had many years ago. I held S close, told her I loved her and that she was my baby. No, mommy, I'm not a baby, she said. She was probably 2 at the time.
That's true, I replied. You are a big girl now but you will always be my baby. No matter what.
As I said those words, I heard my mothers own words echoing in my head.
But, yes, they are my babies. I look at them, a toddler and preschooler, but I can still see them as sweet bundles just home from the hospital. How small they were. Such precious little ones that depended on us for everything. We nurtured them and they are these amazing little girls. So smart and fun.
And even though they are older, we still enjoy times to snuggle. During story time tonight, S wanted me to wrap her up like a cocoon in a blanket so I could snuggle her on my lap. As I took a little rest on the couch earlier this evening, M came into the room and wanted to "eep" with me. She also brought over a blanket and, for a few precious minutes, she snuggled next to me.
My babies. Always and forever.

No comments: