Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Homeshooling update 1/09

After a much needed winter break, we resumed homeschooling last week.
Actually, we officially started today, getting back into the core curriculum.
Last week was more of a review of the alphabet and numbers, although we didn't do as much as I thought we would.
But today we jumped back into the core curriculum, going back to O. Before we took our break, we did work on O and P but did not do as much given all that needed to be done for Christmas preparations.
Today's theme was my all-time favorite: Outer Space. It was a lot of fun and we used some great on-line resources (Nick Jr.'s Dora Storybook with tales about Little Star and Dora's Space Adventure) and, from the library, Alphabet of Space, which came with an audio CD with a catchy song and read-along. We ended our lesson with Mooncake by Frank Asch.
I am excited to get back into the curriculum. Tomorrow we will do a couple outer space related things (space pudding!) and I have an activity on owls. Thursday we will focus on ocean. Friday we will focus on Obey (The Ten Commandments and maybe talk about the importance of rules and, as a family, establish some house rules, which was something I just happened to be talking to S about today; an idea I'd gotten from a parenting guide on positive discipline and an age by age guide.
I'd also picked up a couple weeks ago some games that focus on O and P.
And, looking ahead to P, I am excited to see it is on Prayer, something I am hoping S will understand more so that she can use it as a way to combat her recent fear of the dark.

No comments: