Monday, October 13, 2008

Natrual cleaning products

I've got a bit of a green thumb going.....but not in the garden!
Over the summer, I wrote an article about families using natural cleaning products. I was inspired. What a great way to make something relatively inexpensive and good for the environment...and your home and family!
I found some recipes on-line that call for using simple, basic ingredients like vinegar, baking soda, lemons, borax and more.
I have made an all-purpose cleaner, bathroom cleaner and window cleaner. I also use a recipe for cleaning the floors.
It's fun to use something you've made and I don't worry about the family being exposed to harsh chemicals. The girls like to help me clean the windows with the window cleaner.
Now, I will admit, it's not always easy being green. It does call for changing your mind-set. Sometimes, for quick cleans, I think it's easier to pull out the handy name brand cleaning wipes....but really it isn't. I am toying with the idea of making my own cleaning wipes, using the natural ingredient recipes I've found. We'll see. Like I said, it's a thought.
Most of the recipes call for simple ingredients you might already have in the pantry: vinegar and baking soda. A couple I have also call for a special soap. I found Seventh Generation dish soap works. And I see that brand in some of the big chain stores, not just the natural food stores.
Some people, like me, might be turned off by the smell of vinegar. But a friend recommended using a few drops of essential oils. I found a couple, inexpensive scents at a local vitamin store. They help help to mask the vinegar smell a little and some oils, like tea tree, can be used as disinfectants. I like to use lemon grass and grapefruit oils for a nice smell in the house.
Again, I am not always good but I try. So maybe you might be inspired. I can sen you some recipes or you can Google "natural cleaning products" and find a TON of stuff.
Use the cleaning products with some re-usable cloth wipes and you are taking one small step to help the environment and your wallet!
Now, off to try the window recipe on our outside windows!

1 comment:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Did you see this post today on Money Saving Mom?
http://www.moneysavingmom.com/money_saving_mom/2008/10/guest-post-maki.html