Friday, October 24, 2008

What I'm reading

Over the summer I got bit hard by the reading bug. Probably because we were (and still are) going to the library once a week for the summer reading program Sylvia was in. That and we love going to the library.
But I think it happened mostly because I wanted to read more than children's books. I really love to read. I have since I was a child. I have a lot of fond memories of going to the library and getting lost in the books and stories. One of my favorite reading spots was up in the tree in our front yard.
Over the years, my reading has been off and on. So this summer I happened upon a book by Karen Kingsbury. I'd never heard of her but I was hooked by the description. I was ready to read the book, only to discover it was part of a series. So, of course, I had to start from the beginning. Only I wound up discovering another of Kingsbury's series. And there it started. The one series led to a spin-off, which led to another spin-off. I was hooked and really into reading it. Probably more so that C would have liked because I was reading A LOT.
Since the end of summer, my book reading has slowed down. Not sure why, since I feel our schedule has tapered off since summer. But there are other life factors, etc. involved.
But now I've got three books piled up. I had four but I had to cut one. I was reading Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb's Remember When. I really liked the concept that Nora Roberts was combining her two writing personalities into one book. But, given the three other books that need my attention, I only finished the first half of the book. I'll get to it another day
Now on my list is the last book in Kingsbury's Sunrise series. Because it recently came out, I was on the hold list until this week. Now I have to read it before the due date because chances are I can't renew it right away.
I am also going to read The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. It was chosen by the Mom and Pop Place book club, which starts mid-November. I had never heard of the book and did not realize until recently that it is coming out as a movie.
The last book is The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. Again, not something I'd heard about before. A friend was reading it and shared a few passages with me. It sounds like a powerful and moving book. After that, another friend, who wanted to start up a book club, e-mailed to say she thought we should read the book. So I am borrowing her copy.
I am eager to read each book. They cover so many different areas so I will have a lot to chew on.

No comments: